Tuesday 14 April 2009

E-Portfolios: Playing with Mahara

I have been attending some training programs over the last few months on developing a teaching portfolio. While the I found the ideas covered in the programs to be of great value, the technology which was being used to manage them was archaic - Noah would have rejected it. Some were keeping their portfolios on paper and storing them in lever-arch folders - ugh! The most up-to-date technology I saw was putting it all in an MS Word file - at least this was electronic and searchable but it is like putting a square peg in a round hole. It was not going to fit no matter how big a hammer you used.

To digress a little, for those not familiar with portfolios in general and teaching portfolios in particular, they are collections of documents, photos, certificates, letters and other artefacts which serve as evidence for any claims you may make. The reason I started looking at them was that they are becoming necessary when applying for jobs and grants and I had seen a couple of colleagues use them.

Back to my problem - I was convinced I needed a teaching portfolio but I was not satisfied with the methods used to manage them. I was convinced that paper was not the method I was going to use. I could shove everything into a folder on my hard disk but that would not help with managing the information. I needed a tool that would help me manage the information. I started thinking about the management functions I would need. These were:
  1. Store multiple file types - doc, pdf, jpg, mp3, and others
  2. Multiple and flexible retrieval mechanisms
  3. Shareable
  4. Web accessible
  5. Secure storage
  6. Minimal cost
Given my biases, Web 2.0 philosophy and FOSS were also desirable characteristics. I have not done a detailed search for all the options but I think I have found a winner anyway. It is called Mahara. It is from New Zealand which just shows they can do more than play rugby.

Mahara is FOSS and Web 2.0. You can get a trial account from http://mahara.org/ which gives you 50Mb of storage - way too little for a permanent solution but enough for a trial. If you go to Mahara, do not click on the "download" or "demo" links - click on the "Register" link to create a trial account - the "Register" link is extremely small and well camouflaged but you can find it with a bit of perseverence. Once you have your account you can start uploading and playing.

The only problem I have with Mahara from my brief experimentation is the teeny-weeny 50Mb storage. All I need to do now is to find a hosting service which will give me multi Gb of storage for a handful of shiny beads.

1 comments:

Ray Tolley said...

Hi, Andrew,

The issues that you raise are not new, and I can understand you atraction to Mahara, particularly when you refer to your prediliction for new toys.

However, your own thinking concerning the functionality of an e-Portfolio I would humbly suggest is also somewhat dated. Not only is the e-Portfolio a Lifelong tool (from 5-95), it is also Lifewide, ie, capable of addressing the needs of all abilities and outlooks - and for many different purposes, apart from posting one's CV. - Much too much to say in a comment, but take a look at my blog if you would:

www.efoliointheuk.blogspot.com

Secondly, I would take issue with your perception of the e-Portfolio as being some sort of pantechnicon for the storage of every single artefact. We have discovered over many years that it is not necessary to get anywhere near the 50Mb capacity you require. If you like, the picture of the e-Portfolio is that of a 'clearing house' whereby that which is relevant to the present, along with planning, drafting, peer-review etc and, of course, reflection on what is appropriate and to reveal to a variety of different audiences. The e-Portfolio should not be confused with a 'dumping ground' for every single item you have ever half-created or for those precious items reserved for posterity. These can all be stored on your own storage system at no cost or risk.

As for the 'few shiny beads' - come back to me if you want to discuss how cheaply external hosting can be!

Kindest regards.

Ray T.

rjt@maximise-ict.co.uk